Questions to Ask Your Doctor
At Lake Erie Regional Health System, we believe it is important for each patient to play an active role in their health care by engaging in informative conversations with your physician.
To help you get started, we have listed some questions that patients commonly ask their doctors:
- What do you think is causing my problem?
- Is there more than one condition (disease) that could be causing my problem?
- What tests will you do to diagnose the problem and which of the conditions is present?
- How good are the tests for diagnosing the problem and the conditions?
- How safe are the tests?
- What is the likely course of this condition? What is the long-term outlook with and without treatment?
- What are my treatment options? How effective is each treatment option? What are the benefits versus risks of each treatment option?
- If my symptoms worsen, what should I do on my own? When should I contact you?
- Are you aware of each of the medications that I am taking? Can they adversely interact with the medications you are prescribing for me?
- Should we monitor for side effects of the medications that you are prescribing or for their interactions with other medications I am taking?